Tuesday, March 24, 2009

the long winter

spring is here.
zoom keeps reminding me. i guess i need it.
while the snow is gone, and the temperatures allow us to go outside (sometimes even without a coat!!) it still feels like we aren't quite there.
this has been a long winter. weeks of snow haven't even been the worst part - i love the snow! having two kids inside a lot, that has been hard. but it feels more like we are in a winter season of life. friends who have travelled this road before me have assured me that this time, with kids in the toddler years, really are the hardest years. it does help to hear that. sort of. i'm still tired. i still loose my patience. i still feel frustrated at how long it takes me to check things off our list. (yes, my brown christmas wreath is still hanging on the front door.) i sometimes feel smothered by my babes, even though i love them terribly!
the glimpse of green is good.
the hope that we will penetrate this frozen ground and plant a seed...soon!
zoom and i worked on seed tapes. we got the idea from Organic Gardening mag. you "paste" seeds along a strip of newspaper using a flour/water mixture. spacing them appropriately for the variety, these strips are ready-t0-go when planting time comes. we tried a few things - at least we get to play garden right now.
my precious ones have been sitting in slush puddles, willing the sand to soften just enough to dig a ditch big enough for the little dump truck to drive.

1 comment:

a. borealis said...

I'm loving the ladybug's boots. Too cute! And re: this season in life - yes. It can be hard to describe, but you just said it for me. It's hard! Damn hard. And it is so relieving to be able to talk about it.

Our big hang-up right now is "listening". I swear, I sound like a broken record, and often an extremely exasperated one. I keep on questioning, "Am I expecting too much?" I've wondered that about oldest children...if they just can't catch a break because they seem so "big" and "old". I think I need to hit the books again... Though I do feel more under wraps with the recently implemented change, thank goodness.

Much love, ms.